Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Basement Stairs - brighten things up

http://thatsmyletter.blogspot.com/2011/04/b-is-for-batten.html

"B" is for Batten

Board and batten (without the boards) on the basement stairwell.



Previously this stairwell was an eyesore.
The door to the basement is right off the newly renovated kitchen and every time we opened the door all this ugliness was in plain sight.


Not any more!


This was my chance to try board and batten, I jumped on the bandwagon and freshen up the
neglected stairwell.


There's lots of tutorials out there on how to tackle this project but my favorite and most informative comes from Pink Toes and Power Tools. Click here for her multi-step, nitty gritty, extremely detailed posts and you'll know everything you need to know about board and batten.

One problem I had that Pink Toes didn't have, EXTREMELY WAVY WALLS! The house is 60 years old and settled so the bulge at the base of the first floor and top of basement is clearly evident here:


To combat this and work with the bulgy wall I planed down the back of the 1x3 almost 1/4" and I adhered my boards with construction adhesive, wood screws and mollys:


It really only evident in certain lights and it was something I couldn't change about the wall so I worked with it. After all the caulking and painting you really can't tell.


Here's a few progress shots of the process:

1. Rip off old board with hooks, unfortunately chunks of drywall came off too:


2. Cut straight lines for drywall repair:


3. Patch with drywall and mud.


Sand, mud, sand, mud, until it's smooth.

4. Paint.


The eyesore is gone and the stairs are complete.


If you're curious about how I painted the faux runner on the stairs check the how-to here.

One last side by side:




That was worth it, now should I do it to the upstairs?


2 comments:

  1. Remove cobwebs, wipe windows, sweep dust, mop floors, and scrub all the walls, windows, and floors. Basement Chicago

    ReplyDelete